Prof. Maud Muchuweti
D.Phil in Biochemistry (UZ), MSc (Biochemistry); BSc (Biochemistry, UZ)
Dean of Faculty of Science
Analysis of polysaccharides in wild plants: Their use in industrial applications; Traditional and indigenous foods: Medico-nutritional properties and utilisation; Biological natural products; Water and Sanitation
Research Category: Bioscience
Phone: +263 242 303211
1. Chipurura, B., Muchuweti, M., & Manditsera, F. (2010). Effects of Thermal Treatment on the Phenolic Content and Antioxidant Activity of Some Vegetables. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2(3).
2. Chipurura, B., & Muchuweti, M. (2010). Effect of irradiation and high pressure processing technologies on the bioactive compounds and antioxidant capacities of vegetables. Asian Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2(4), 190-199.
3. Nhukarume, L., Chikwambi, Z., Muchuweti, M., & Chipurura, B. (2010). Phenolic content and antioxidant capacities of Parinari curatelifolia, Strychnos spinosa and Adansonia digitata. Journal of Food Biochemistry, 34(s1), 207-221.
4. Munodawafa, T., Chagonda, L. S., Viol, I. D., Muchuweti, M., Moyo, S. R., Chipurura, B., ... & Govil, J. N. (2010). Total phenolic content and antioxidant activity of some Zimbabwean traditional medicinal plants. Drug plants IV, 215-225.
5. Muchuweti, M., Kasiamhuru, A., Benhura, M. A. N., Chipurura, B., Amuna, P., Zotor, F., & Parawira, W. (2008, March). Assessment of the nutritional value of wild leafy vegetables consumed in the Buhera district of Zimbabwe: A preliminary study. In International Symposium on Underutilized Plants for Food Security, Nutrition, Income and Sustainable Development 806 (pp. 323-330).
6. Chipurura, B., Muchuweti, M., & Kasiyamhuru, A. (2013). Wild leafy vegetables consumed in Buhera District of Zimbabwe and their phenolic compounds content. Ecology of food and nutrition, 52(2), 178-189.
7. Chipurura, B., Mushonga, G. N., & Pswarayi, F. (2014). Optimizing the Color of French Fries: A Review. Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, 12(2), 100-108.
8. Muchuweti, M., Matongo, N., Benhura, M. A. N., Bhebhe, M., Kasiyamhuru, A., & Chipurura, B. (2011, June). Nutritional composition of Parinari curatellifolia fruit and a jam made from the pulp of the fruit: an untapped resource. In II International Symposium on Underutilized Plant Species: Crops for the Future-Beyond Food Security 979 (pp. 621-624).
9. Chipurura, B., & Muchuweti, M. (2013). Post-harvest treatment of Adansonia digitata (baobab) fruits in Zimbabwe and the potential of making yoghurt from the pulp. International Journal of Postharvest Technology and Innovation, 3(4), 392-402.
10. Chipurura, B., Muchuweti, M., & Bhebhe, M. (2011, June). An Assessment of the Phenolic Content, Composition and Antioxidant Capacity of Selected Indigenous Vegetables of Zimbabwe. In II International Symposium on Underutilized Plant Species: Crops for the Future-Beyond Food Security 979 (pp. 611-620).
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
1. The Kellogg Foundation, 2007; United Nations universities Institute of natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA);
2. CSSP UNICEF Small research grants
3. Analysis of food and nutrition security situation for children with Women' s university
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
Phytotrade, ISHS, NAPRECA, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology of Zimbabwe
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=AQ6o5t8AAAAJ&hl=en