Dr. Cathrine Chidewe
BSc Applied Biology and Biochemistry (UZ); Master of Philosophy in Biochemical Immunology of parasitic infections (UZ); PhD in biochemical immunology and parasitology (University of Glasgow, UK)
Nutritional biochemistry; Analysis of bioactive compounds in plants
Department: Biotechnology and Biochemistry
Research Category: Bioscience
Dr Chidewe is a researcher on underutilized crops and is currently working on an underutilized legume Bauhinia petersiana. The work involves analyzing nutrient and anti-nutrient compositions, bioactive compounds and availability of protein and iron in the legume.
Phone: +263 242 303211
1. Sigauke, M., Chidzvondo, F., Nyanga, L., Zvidzai, CJ., Muzaka, A., Mushipe, S and Chidewe, C (2013). Effects of processing methods on antinutrient composition of seeds from a wild legume Bauhinia petersiana. Asia Journal of Science and Technology. In press
2. Chidewe, C and Chimatira, L. Determination of phytochemical constituents of some medicinal plants from Zimbabwe. Journal of Applied Science in Southern Africa. In press
3. Benhura, M.A.N. and Chidewe, C. (2011). Characterisation of the polysaccharide material that is isolated from the fruit of Cordia abyssinica. African Journal of Biochemistry Research,5(3),95-101.
4. Chidewe,C. and Chimatira, L. (2011). Determination of the phytochemical constituents of some medicinal plants of Zimbabwe. African Journal of Biotechnology, In Press.
5. Muchuweti, M., Kativhu, E., Mupure, C., Chidewe,C., Ndhlala, A. Benhura, M.A. N. (2007). Phenolic composition and antioxidant properties of some spices. American Journal of Food Technology, 1-7.
6. Dzingirai B., Muchuweti, M., Murenje, T., Chidewe,C., Benhura, M.A.N. and Chagonda, S. (2007). Phenolic content and phospholipid peroxidation inhibition by methanolic extracts of two medicinal plants: Elionurus muticus and Hypoxis hemerocallidae. African Journal of Biochemistry Research, 1(7), 137-141.
Benhura, M. A. N. and Chidewe, C. K. (2005). Rheological properties of a polysaccharide preparation from the fruit of Cordia abyssinica. Journal of Applied Science in Southern Africa, 11 (1&2), 12-20.
7. Benhura, M. A. N. and Chidewe, C. K. (2004). Emulsifying properties of polysaccharide preparation isolated from the fruit of Cordia abyssinica. International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 39, 579-583
8. Benhura, M. A. N. and Chidewe, C. (2002). Some properties of a polysaccharide preparation that is isolated from the fruit of Cordia abyssinica. Food Chemistry, 76, 343-347
9. Benhura, M. A. N. and Katayi-Chidewe, C. (2000). Preliminary study of the gelling properties of polysaccharide isolated from the fruit of Cordia abyssinica. Gums and Stabilisers for the Food Industry, 10: 65-75.
10. • Benhura, M. A. N. and Chidewe, C. K. (2000). Viscosity and solubility properties of the polysaccharide isolated from the fruit of Cordia abyssinica. Advances in Food Science (CTML), 22:(5,6), 165-169.
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):