Prof. Takafira Mduluza
PhD in biochemical immunology and parasitology (University of Glasgow, UK); Master of Philosophy in Biochemical Immunology of parasitic infections (UZ); BSc Applied Biology and Biochemistry (UZ)
Molecular Immunology, Immuno-epidemiology, Infectious disease, Cellular immunity, Malaria, Schistosomiasis, HIV/AIDS,Vaccines.
Department: Biotechnology and Biochemistry
Research Category: Bioscience
Takafira Mduluza graduated from University of Zimbabwe with degrees in Applied Biology and Biochemistry and Master of Philosophy in Biochemical Immunology of parasitic infections. After an internship at Blair Research Institute, Ministry of Health and Child Welfare he studied for a PhD in biochemical immunology and parasitology in the Department of Infection and Immunity at the University of Glasgow, UK. His work was on Biochemical Immuno-epidemiology of schistosomiasis at humoral and cellular level. He began working on the immunology of schistosomiasis in 1992, as a member of the senior scientific staff at the Blair Research Laboratories (National Institute of Health Research) in Zimbabwe. In 1999, Takafira moved to the University of Zimbabwe as a Lecturer.
Phone: +263 242 303211
1. Imai N, Rujeni N, Nausch N, Bourke CD, Appleby LJ, Cowan G, Gwisai R, Midzi N, Cavanagh D, Mduluza T, Taylor D, Mutapi F. Exposure, infection, systemic cytokine levels and antibody responses in young children concurrently exposed to schistosomiasis and malaria. Parasitology. 2011 Aug 4:1-15. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21813042.
2. Midzi N, Mtapuri-Zinyowera S, Sangweme D, Paul NH, Makware G, Mapingure MP, Brouwer KC, Mudzori J, Hlerema G, Chadukura V, Mutapi F, Kumar N, Mduluza T. Efficacy of integrated school based de-worming and prompt malaria treatment on helminths -Plasmodium falciparum co-infections: A 33 months follow up study. BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2011 Jun 22;11:9 PMID: 21696629
3. Midzi N, Mtapuri-Zinyowera S, Mapingure MP, Paul NH, Sangweme D, Hlerema G, Mutsaka MJ, Tongogara F, Makware G, Chadukura V, Brouwer KC, Mutapi F, Kumar N, Mduluza T. Knowledge attitudes and practices of grade three primary schoolchildren in relation to schistosomiasis, soil transmitted helminthiasis and malaria in Zimbabwe. BMC Infect Dis. 2011 Jun 13;11:169. PMID: 21668948
4. Mutapi F, Rujeni N, Bourke C, Mitchell K, Appleby L, Nausch N, Midzi N, Mduluza T. Schistosoma haematobium treatment in 1-5 year old children: safety and efficacy of the antihelminthic drug praziquantel. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2011 May;5(5):e1143. Epub 2011 May 17. PMID: 21610855
5. Mutapi F, Imai N, Nausch N, Bourke CD, Rujeni N, Mitchell KM, Midzi N, Woolhouse ME, Maizels RM, Mduluza T. Schistosome infection intensity is inversely related to auto-reactive antibody levels. PLoS One. 2011 May 6;6(5):e19149. PMID: 21573157
6. Arkestål K, Sibanda E, Thors C, Troye-Blomberg M, Mduluza T, Valenta R, Grönlund H, van Hage M. Impaired allergy diagnostics among parasite-infected patients caused by IgE antibodies to the carbohydrate epitope galactose-?1,3-galactose. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2011 Mar 2. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 21376382 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher].
7. Nausch N, Midzi N, Mduluza T, Maizels RM, Mutapi F. Regulatory and Activated T Cells in Human Schistosoma haematobium Infections. PLoS One. 2011 Feb 10;6(2):e16860. PMID: 21347311 [PubMed - in process] Free PMC Article
8. Mutapi F, Bourke C, Harcus Y, Midzi N, Mduluza T, Michael Turner C, Burchmore R, Maizels RM. Differential recognition patterns of Schistosoma haematobium adult worm antigens by the human antibodies IgA, IgE, IgG1 and IgG4. Parasite Immunol. 2010 Nov 5. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-3024.2010.01270.x. [Epub ahead of print]PMID: 21204849.
9. Mduluza T, Mutapi F, Ruwona T, Kaluka D, Midzi N, Ndhlovu PD. Similar cellular responses after treatment with either praziquantel or oxamniquine in Schistosoma mansoni infection. Malawi Med J. 2009 Dec;21(4):176-82.PMID: 21174933 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
10. Sangweme DT, Midzi N, Zinyowera-Mutapuri S, Mduluza T, Diener-West M, Kumar N. Impact of schistosome infection on Plasmodium falciparum Malariometric indices and immune correlates in school age children in Burma Valley, Zimbabwe. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2010 Nov 9;4(11):e882.PMID: 21085468 [PubMed - in process]
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):