Prof. Nhiwatiwa Tamuka
PhD in Biology (Catholic University of Leuven Belgium) MPhil in Aquatic Ecology (University of Zimbabwe), BSc Hons in Biological Sciences (University of Zimbabwe)
Water quality; rivers
fish biology; aquaculture
aquaculture water quality
ephemeral pans and tools
Department: Biological Sciences and Ecology
Research Category: Bioscience
Tamuka Nhiwatiwa currently works at the Department of Biological Sciences; University Lake Kariba Research Station, University of Zimbabwe. Their current project is 'Rapid assessment of Zimbabwe's water quality using GIS and Remote Sensing technologies
Phone: +263 242 303211
1. Nhiwatiwa, T., Wasserman, R.J., Maseko, Z. and Dalu, T., 2019. Identifying environmental drivers of chlorophyll-a dynamics in Austral subtropical ephemeral ecosystems. Limnologica, 74, pp.38-41.
2. Dandadzi, P., Hoko, Z. and Nhiwatiwa, T., 2018. Investigating the quality of stored drinking water from the Harare water distribution system, Zimbabwe. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development.
3. Nhiwatiwa, T., Barson, M., Harrison, A.P., Utete, B. and Cooper, R.G., 2011. Metal concentrations in water, sediment and sharptooth catfish Clarias gariepinus from three peri-urban rivers in the upper Manyame catchment, Zimbabwe. African journal of aquatic science, 36(3), pp.243-252.
4. Barson, M. and Nhiwatiwa, T., 2010. Influence of drought and flooding on the colonisation of floodplain pans by riverine fish in the Zimbabwean lowveld. African Journal of Aquatic Science, 35(2), pp.205-208.
5. Barson, M., Mulonga, A. and Nhiwatiwa, T., 2008. Investigation of a parasitic outbreak of Lernaea cyprinacea Linnaeus (Crustacea: Copepoda) in fish from Zimbabwe. African Zoology, 43(2), pp.175-183.
6. Nhiwatiwa, T., De Bie, T., Vervaeke, B., Barson, M., Stevens, M., Vanhove, M.P. and Brendonck, L., 2009. Invertebrate communities in dry-season pools of a large subtropical river: patterns and processes. Hydrobiologia, 630(1), pp.169-186.
7. Nhiwatiwa, T. and Marshall, B.E., 2007. Water quality and plankton dynamics in two small dams in Zimbabwe. African Journal of Aquatic Science, 32(2), pp.139-151
8. Rommens, W., Maes, J., Dekeza, N., Inghelbrecht, P., Nhiwatiwa, T., Holsters, E., Ollevier, F., Marshall, B. and Brendonck, L., 2003. The impact of water hyacinth (Eichhornia crassipes) in a eutrophic subtropical impoundment (Lake Chivero, Zimbabwe). I. Water quality. Archiv fÃ¼r Hydrobiologie, 158(3), pp.373-388.
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):