Dr. James Tsabora
PhD Law (International Criminal Justice and Natural Resources Law, Rhodes University; Master of Laws (LLM), University of KwaZulu-Natal; Bachelor of Laws (LLBs), University of Zimbabwe
Chairperson, Department of Legal Research, Faculty of Law
International Humanitarian Law
International Criminal Law
Natural Resources Law and Policy
Legal research and Writing
Environmental Law and Policy
Mining and Mineral Resources Law
Wildlife law and Policy
State Security Law
Department: Legal Research
Research Category: Physical Sciences
Phone: +263 78 337 1045
1. Tsabora, J. (2019). The constitutional state and traditionalism under the 2013 Zimbabwean Constitution: A critique. In, A Moyo (ed) Selected Aspects of the 2013 Constitution and the Declaration of Rights. Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law. Available at: http://zimlii.org/content/selected-aspects-2013-zimbabwean-constitution-and-declaration-rights
2. Tsabora, J. (2019). Climate change and property rights allocation in Zimbabwe’s energy sector. In, Murombo, T., Dhliwayo, M. & Dhlakama, T. (eds) Climate change law in Zimbabwe: Concepts and Insights. 180. Konrad Adeneur Foundation. Available at: https://www.kas.de/documents/277198/0/Climate+Change+Law+in+Zimbabwe.pdf/81decd91-6699-708e-b80a-8a04f199b50d?t=1573136985486
3. Tsabora, J. & Dhliwayo, M. (2019). Foreign investment, indigenous communities and the constitutional protection of property rights in Zimbabwe. In, A Moyo (ed). Selected Aspects of the 2013 Constitution and the Declaration of Rights. Raoul Wallenberg Institute of Human Rights and Humanitarian Law.
4. Tsabora, J., Mushore, P., & Mukumbiri, P. (2018). Exploring and Understanding Child Labour and Children’s Rights in the Context of the African Social Value System in Zimbabwe. University Of Botswana Law Journal. 26(2).
5. Tsabora, J & Mtisi, S. (2017). Assessing the justice delivery mandate of the Judicial Service Commission in Zimbabwe’s constitutional framework. Zimbabwe Rule of Law Journal. 1(1). 35.
6. Tsabora, J. (2017). Fixed Property Rights and Social Responsibility: A Zimbabwean, South African and German Comparative Analysis. Harare: Frederick Ebert Stiftung.
7. Tsabora, J. (2017). Compulsory acquisition and deprivation of property rights under Zimbabwe’s 2013 Constitution: Dissecting the interpretive problems. Midlands State University Law Review. 3.
8. Tsabora, J., & Kasuso, T. G. (2017). Reflections on the Constitutionalising of Individual Labour Law and Labour Rights in Zimbabwe. Pt. 1 Industrial Law Journal. 38.
9. Tsabora, J. (2016). Reflections on the constitutional regulation of property and land rights under the 2013 Zimbabwean Constitution. Journal of African Law, 60, 213.
10. Tsabora, J. (2014). Illicit Natural Resource Exploitation by Private Corporate Interests in Africa’s Maritime Zones During Armed Conflict. Natural Resources Journal, 54(1), 181-204.
11. Tsabora, J. (2014). Public procurement in Zimbabwe: law, policy and practice. African Public Procurement Law Journal, 1(1).
12. Tsabora, J. (2015). Africa and the agenda for peace in the era of Drones: new weapons in old battlegrounds?. Peace Review. (USA)
13. Tsabora, J. (2014). Cleansing the game: Mapping and tackling state-induced corruption trends in African football. European Business Review, 40, 45.
14. Tsabora, J. (2014). Illicit Natural Resource Exploitation by Private Corporate Interests in Africa’s Maritime Zones during Armed Conflict. Natural Resources Journal, 54(1), 181-204.
15. Tsabora, J. (2014). Fighting the ‘resource wars' in the Democratic Republic of the Congo: an exploratory diagnosis of the legal and institutional problems. The Comparative and International Law Journal of Southern Africa, 47(1), 109-128.
16. Mubako, S., Madebwe, T., & Tsabora, J. (2014). The challenge of constitutional transformation of society through judicial adjudication: Mildred Mapingure v Minister of Home Affairs and Ors SC22/14.Midlands State University Law Review Vol. 1. (1): 54.
17. Tsabora, J. (2014). Public procurement in Zimbabwe: law, policy and practice. African Public Procurement Law Journal, 1(1).
18. Tsabora, J., & Nzero, I. (2013). Changing the Game: Striking Down Section 121 of Zimbabwe's Criminal Procedure and Evidence Act. Available at SSRN 2368221.
19. Tsabora, J. (2011). Prosecuting Congolese war crimes. Peace Review: A Journal of Social Justice, 23(2), 161-169.
20. Tsabora, J. (2011). Punishment of international crimes in failed states: The Somali piracy imbroglio. African Security Review, 20(3), 67-83.
21. Tsabora, J. (2011). Safeguarding oil resources in unoccupied territories during armed conflict: The Libyan problem. Southern African Public Law, 26(2), 449-463.
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):
Google scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=UqoS4VsAAAAJ&hl=en