Dr. Barbra Chiyedza Manyarara
D.Litt., et Phil, senior lecturer, M. Ed programme
D.Litt., et Phil, senior lecturer, M. Ed Programme
Postcolonial literature, child sensitive social policy and ICTs in education
Department: Curriculum and Arts Education
Research Category: Education
Phone: +263 (0)773 763 171; +263 242 663040
1. Sexualities in Gabriel García Márquez’s Novels (2016). Harare: Human Resources Research (University of Zimbabwe).
2. (Co-edited and co-authored). (2010) Hunting in Foreign Lands and Other Stories. Harare: Priority Projects Publishing, 142 pages. The book was selected for study by Zimbabwe School Examinations Council, A-Level Literature in English/9153: Examination Syllabus for 2012-2016. The book is also popular at tertiary level and among literary critics because of its concern with migration and immigration by Zimbabwe nationals. Zimbabwe School Examinations Council, A-Level Literature in English/9153: Examination Syllabus for 2013-2017.
I contributed the following seven of the twenty-one stories in the collection:
(i) Once again pp.7-9;
(ii) My mother’s beads pp. 10-12;
(iii) The road to Damascus pp. 20-26;
(iv) Femmes sans frontieres pp. 39-48;
(v) Indefinite pp. 49-53;
(vi) O. K. R. H. pp. 61-63; and
(vii) Helicopter to view pp. 71-76.
B. Book Chapters
3. Begging as performance: A critical evaluation of begging strategies in both urban and rural Zimbabwe. Dariro: The African Theory of Participation and Performance (2017). University of Zimbabwe Publications (In print)
4. (Co-authored) ‘Building on curiosity and enthusiasm’: Supporting a focus on STEM that begins in early childhood and extends into the future (Forthcoming).
C. Articles in peer-reviewed journals
5. (Co-authored) An experimental study into the use of computers for teaching composition writing in English at Prince Edward School in Harare. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research. 21 (1), 2009, p. 85-101.
6. Another way of knowing: Rethinking the concept of time in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s One Hundred Years of Solitude (1967). Latin American Report, 24 (2), 2008, p. 36-41.
7. (Co-authored) Ritual or mere sexual aberration: A comparative analysis of incest as taboo in Zimbabwean Literature and Caribbean Literary Works.’ Latin American Report, 1 (1), 2009, p. 154-167.
8. A critical overview of Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s representation of sexuality in some of his narratives. Latin American Report, 27 (2), 2011, p. 225-235.
9. Homicide in legitimate defense of honour: Representation of sexuality in Gabriel Garcia Marquez’s Chronicle of a Death Foretold (1982). Latin American Report, 28 (1), 2012, p. 259-278.
10. (Co-authored) There is no room for religion in soccer: marginalisation of the culturally different. Latin American Report, 28 (2), 2012, p. 394-403.
11. (Co-authored) The prophylactics debate: Is unhu/ubuntu an alternative? Zimbabwe Journal Educational Research, 25 (1), 2013, p. 20-37.
12. Excesses and absurdities: Representations of sexuality in Gabriel García Márquez’s The Autumn of the Patriarch (1975). IMBIZO: International Journal of African Literary and Comparative Studies, 4 (2), 2013, p. 29-43.
13. Healing the scars: Bibliotherapy and commercial sexual exploitation of children. African Journal of Children’s Literature, 1 (2), 2013, p. 43-63.
14. (Co-authored) The construction of the discourse of violence in liberation war films: The case of Catch a Fire (2006). Latin American Report, 30 (1), 2014, p. 77-84.
15. Unhu/ ubuntu anachronistic? The manifestation of female agency in Virginia Phiri’s Highway Queen (2010). IMBIZO: International Journal of African Literary and Comparative Studies, 5 (2), 2014, p. 13-22.
16. (Co-authored) Voices from the wilderness: Zimbabwean Diaspora literature, an emerging category. Latin American Report, 30 (1), 2014, p. 11-28.
17. García Márquez’s use of narrative and literature to portray human sexual behaviour. Latin American Report, 30 (2), 2014, p.1-17.
18. “Sanitising” Gabriel García Márquez: Henning Carlsen’s (2011) film adaption of Memories of My Melancholy Whores. Re-visualising Africa: Journal of African Cinema, 2 (1), 2014, p. 1-14.
19. Lesson planning for teacher effectiveness. Namibian Continuing Professional Development Journal for Educators, 2 (1), 2015, p. 76-87.
20. Co-incidence or collusion: An analysis of the relationship between the proposal to ban the use of contraceptives and lowering the age of consent in Zimbabwe. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, 27 (3), 2015, p. 371-393.
21. (Co-authored) Aesthetic of naming: Potential psycho-sociological effects of some forenames in use among Zimbabweans. Namibia Journal for Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, 4 (1 & 2), 2015, p. 34-41.
22. Tool or toy: A survey of parental attitudes towards use of cell phones at school in Zimbabwe. Commonwealth, Youth and Development, 14(1), 2016, p. 17-35.
23. (Co-authored) ICTs in teacher education: Enhancing quality language teaching and learning in Zimbabwe. Namibia Continuing Professional Development Journal for Educators, 3(1), 2016, p. 113-123.
24. (Co-authored) Women who have killed: An analysis of the psycho-social effects of prison life on women who have caused the deaths of others as portrayed in the semi-autobiography, A Tragedy of Lives: Women in Prison in Zimbabwe. IMBIZO: International Journal of African Literary and Comparative Studies, 7 (1), 2016, p. 1-16.
25. (Co-authored) The ‘Facebook’ decade: A review of scholarly literature on adolescents and youths’ use of social networking sites in Zimbabwe in the period 2006 - 2016. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, 29(1), (2017), p. 68-94.
26. An analysis of the attitudes of ex-commercial farm workers towards new land holders and vice versa on Kalembo and Chigwell Estates in Chegutu West, Zimbabwe. Zambezia: Journal of Humanities, 44(1), (2017), p.95-113.
27. Paid in full? Judeo-Christian traditions on justice, punishment and human rights as manifest in the story Death Constant Beyond Love (1978) and in the novel Chronicle of a Death Foretold (1982) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. BOLESWA (Journal of Theology, Religion and Philosophy), 5 (1), (2018), p.207-219.
28. Okonkwo in Harare? Reading the poem ‘Déjà vu’ by Nhamo Mhiripiri through an intertextual lens. Eastern African Literary and Cultural Studies, 2019. .DOI:10.1080/23277408.2018.1521768, https://doi.org. 10.1080/23277408.2018.1521768.
29. Fictional history and history in fiction: an analysis of the sell-out trope in selected literary works studied in Zimbabwean high schools in the period 2012-2019. Occasional Paper Series, Harare: Human Resources Research Centre of the University of Zimbabwe, March 2019.
30. Machinations of spiritual entities in some of Charles Mungoshi’s works written in English. Namibia Journal for Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences (Forthcoming).
31. The construction of death and afterlife in selected writings by Gabriel García Márquez (1927-2014) and by Charles Mungoshi (1947-2019). Cogent Arts and Humanities (Forthcoming).
32. The currency that buys peace: Reparation in Gabriel García Márquez’s The Sad and Incredible Tale of Innocent Eréndira and her Heartless Grandmother (1972) and Charles Mungoshi’s ‘Sacrifice’ (1997) (Forthcoming).
D. Book Reviews
1. Writing Still: New Stories from Zimbabwe, Weaver Press: Harare 254 pages. Zambezia: The Journal of Humanities of the University of Zimbabwe, 32 (i/ii), (2003), p. 144-148.
2. The Offshoot. Priority Projects Publishing: Harare, 112 pages. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, 20 (3), (2008), p.409-411.
3. Mwana Waamai (My Mother’s Daughter), Longman: Harare, 102 pages. Zimbabwe Journal of Educational Research, 21 (3), (2009), p. 402-404.
Book: Hunting in Foreign Lands (2010)
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Professional editing of doctoral manuscripts.
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
Numerous M. Ed student dissertations & current associate supervisor of one D. Phil student.
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
Forum For African Women Educationalists Zimbabwe Chapter (FAWEZI); Association of Teachers; University of Dept rep. on Timetable committee; Fac. rep. on English Board.
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):