Prof. Charles Mbohwa
Doctor of Engineering, Tokyo Metropolitan Institute of Technology, Masters of Science in Operations Management and Manufacturing Systems, University of Nottingham, BSc Honours in Mechanical Engineering, University of Zimbabwe, 1986
Pro Vice Chancellor Strategic Partnerships and Industrialisation
Sustainability Engineering Systems
Life Cycle Assessment
Climate Change Adaptation
Faculty: Engineering And The Built Environment
Department: Mechanical Engineering
Research Category: Engineering & Technology
Professor Charles Mbohwa is the University of Zimbabwe Pro-Vice Chancellor responsible for Strategic Partnerships and Industrialisation since 1st July 2019. Before that he was a Professor of sustainability engineering in the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at the University of Johannesburg. Earlier on in his career, he was a mechanical engineer in the National Railways of Zimbabwe from 1986 to 1991; lecturer and senior lecturer at the University of Zimbabwe and joined the University of Johannesburg as a senior lecturer in 2007. He is an established researcher and is NRF-Rated in category C1. He was the Chairman and Head of Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Zimbabwe from 1994 to 1997 and was Vice-Dean of Postgraduate Studies Research and Innovation in the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment at the University of Johannesburg from July 2014 to June 2017. He was Acting Executive Dean in the Faculty of Engineering and the Built Environment from November 2017 to July 2018. He has published more than 700 papers in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, 20 book chapters and 7 books. He has a Scopus h-index of 13; a web of science h-index of 11 and Google Scholar h-ndex of 18.
He has collaborated with the United Nations organisations and has assisted to write the Global Guidance Principles for Life Cycle Assessment Databases and has reviewed Methodological Sheets for Subcategories in Social Life Cycle Assessment. He is a founding member of the Social Life Cycle Assessment Alliance coordinated by the World Resources Forum, which will focus, among many other things, on social impacts of sustainable recycling. He has been a board member of the African Roundtable in Sustainable Consumption and Production. He was also a board member of Almin Industries and for Willowvale Motor Industries in Zimbabwe. He has successfully supervised more than 50 Master’s students, 12 doctoral students and 12 postdoctoral fellows.
1. Aigbavboa, S., & Mbohwa, C. (2020). The murky waters of outsourcing: critical risks factors of outsourcing pharmaceutical outbound value chains. Procedia Manufacturing, 43, 328-335.
2. Nyemba, W.R., Kapumha, Z.B., Mushiri, T. & Mbohwa, C. (2020). Modelling, simulation and optimisation of the comminution and flotation circuits of platinum for sustainable mineral processing. International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, 4(2-4), 300-318.
3. Ozor, P. A., & Mbohwa, C. (2020). Economic-Based Sustainability Assessment of Aluminum Roofing Sheet Manufacturing/Life Cycle and Plant Sizing in Nigeria. Procedia Manufacturing, 43, 277-284.
4. Nhubu, T., Muzenda, E., Mbohwa, C., & Agbenyeku, E. O. (2020). Comparative assessment of compositing and anaerobic digestion of municipal biodegradable waste in Harare, Zimbabwe. Environmental Progress & Sustainable Energy, 39(4), e13376.
5. Nyemba, W. R., Kapumha, Z. B., Mushiri, T., & Mbohwa, C. (2020). Modelling, simulation and optimisation of the comminution and flotation circuits of platinum for sustainable mineral processing. International Journal of Sustainable Manufacturing, 4(2-4), 300-318.
6. Nyemba, W. R., Shangwa, N. L., Chinguwa, S., & Mbohwa, C. (2020). Conceptualization, development and design of a mortar spraying machine. Procedia CIRP, 91, 396-401.
7. Manyuchi, M. M., Mbohwa, C., & Muzenda, E. (2020). Leadership in the mining sector: A functional approach for optimum team performance in the fourth industrial revolution. In 10th Annual International IEOM Conference, IEOM 2020 (pp. 2932-2936). IEOM Society.
8. Aigbavboa, S., & Mbohwa, C. (2020). The headache of medicines’ supply in Nigeria: an exploratory study on the most critical challenges of pharmaceutical outbound value chains. Procedia Manufacturing, 43, 336-343.
9. Meda, J. T., Gudukeya, L., & Mbohwa, C. (2020). Design of an industrial elevator: Power Station in Zimbabwe. Procedia Manufacturing, 43, 143-150.
10. Mukwakungu, S. C., Motapane, T. I., & Mbohwa, C. (2019). The Assessment of Internal Service Quality Perception of System Administrators-Case of Services Provided by Data Centre Hosting to Local Bank in South Africa. In 2019 IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM) (pp. 400-404). IEEE.
Grants & Funding (current and Past projects):
Awards & Achievements:
1. Fulbright Scholar
2. Japan Foundation Fellow
3. British Council Scholarship
4. Kubota Foundation Fellowship
5. Finalist of the TW Kambule-NSTF Awards
Consultancy and advisory work (current and past):
Fellow with the Zimbabwe Academy of Science
Fellow Zimbabwean Institution of Engineers
Supervision information (MPhil, DPhil, etc.):
He has successfully supervised more than 50 Master’s students, 12 doctoral students and 12 postdoctoral fellows
Professional membership, Committees, Boards:
1. Board Member of the African Roundtable in Sustainable Consumption and Production
2. Global Council Member and Fellow of the Industrial Engineering and Operations Management Society
3. Registered mechanical engineer with the Engineering Council of Zimbabwe
4. Board member of Almin Industries and for Willowvale Motor Industries in Zimbabwe
External Profile Links (Google Scholar, ResearchGate, LinkedIn, other social media links):